I felt like I ran into a little bit of a dead end with my previous exploration of person-first language.
Eventually, I was led to a bit of a different kind of search: how do words change your life.
A subtle difference, and yet an important one, even if less scientific.
This search led me to an article titled Words Have the Power to Change Our Lives.
Here are some of the more noteworthy statements from this article:
- Google is a company with a focus on classifying and organizing words (though they say their focus is information).
- A word like “cancer” can immediately change your life.
- Words have monetary value behind them. Consider terms and phrases like “free shipping”, or “buy with one click”.
- When marketers create content online, they often do keyword searches and “search engine optimize” their content pieces for maximum exposure.
- Words have powerful meaning in religion, and wars have been waged over them.