Continuing my exploration of how words can change your life, I found an article called Experts Say These Magic Words Will Change Your Life.
This article basically talks about little tweaks we can make in the language we use when communicating with others.
Lauren Gelman suggests the following words or phrases can change our lives:
- I don’t: saying “I don’t” can help with self-control and overcoming temptations.
- Some: even if a lot of things are going wrong in your life, it’s better to say “some” rather than “everything”, as it is less stress producing.
- I’m sorry: sincere apologies can be helpful when you’ve upset someone and don’t know what else to say – sincere being the keyword here.
- We: collective pronouns are a couple’s friend. They help you feel like you’re in a partnership and you aren’t just fending for yourself.
- Thank you: many of us don’t know how to receive a compliment. Next time someone says something nice about you, simply respond with “thank you.”
- No: you’ll burn out if you keep saying “yes” when you should be saying “no.”
- Can you help me?: ask for support when you need it.